Let Them Eat Bacon!

Let Them Eat Bacon!

In 2017, it is a “scientific fact” that everything makes you fat. If you’ve been on the Internet in the past month, you have probably seen top-10 lists of things that aren’t good for you. Those lists could include anything—fruit, carbs, dairy, eggs, or meat. You name it. About the only thing not slowly killing you, apparently, is leafy green vegetables.

This is bullshit.

Leafy green vegetables are good for you, of course. I’m not here to dispute that. But by and large, most of the hype you read out there is nonsense. Your food isn’t slowly killing you. Fruit doesn’t have too much sugar, and carbohydrates aren’t going to raise your insulin so high you become forever fat. Dairy is totally fine if you aren’t lactose intolerant (though it isn’t the best for fat loss). Eggs and meat are perfectly healthy, yet historically they’ve gotten the most flak from so-called health experts.[i]

For that and numerous other reasons, bacon in particular has taken quite the blow to the belly. Let’s take thick slices out of each anti-bacon argument, fry them up, and eat them.

1. One slice of bacon is about 10 percent of your daily sodium intake.

My response: So what?

All I hear is “limit bacon to 10 slices per day,” which seems pretty fair to me. Bacon is usually consumed in two to four pieces and I don’t see anything wrong with getting 40 percent of your sodium intake in one meal. Just proceed accordingly. If you have a chicken salad for lunch, followed by a healthy dinner and dessert, you should have no trouble staying under the remaining 60 percent of your sodium intake the rest of the day.

2.  Saturated fat is bad.

It isn’t—it’s really filling.

For years fats of any kind have been linked with clogged arteries and coronary heart disease. But saturated fat was only guilty by association. It shouldn’t have been hanging out with that trans fat riffraff. 

A diet high in saturated fat can increase total cholesterol levels in the body. However, in a metadata analysis evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease, researchers found that “Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD. . . . Consideration of age, sex, and study quality did not change the results.”[ii] This study renders that tidbit about cholesterol pretty irrelevant.

3. Preservatives are the problem.

This is where it gets a little hairy. Most people know that processed meats aren’t the best; the main culprit is how they are preserved. Furthermore, a number of studies have linked processed meats to an increased risk of colorectal cancer.[iii]  But fear not!

There is nothing wrong with the bacon itself. If you want to guarantee yourself safety from the damages caused by preservatives, just buy a salted pork belly and cut thin slices. It’s the same thing. 

The point is, bacon is not the devils food sent to this world to make you fat and cause coronary heart disease. It is a simply a delicious—but not very nutritious—snack that can be eaten on a healthy diet. Maybe don’t eat it every day, but fear no weekend bacon brunch!


Need help getting your diet on track without the unrealistic demand of never eating bacon again? Shoot me an email- jd@jakedermer.com :)

[i] http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e8539

[ii] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648

[iii] http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19990315)80:6%3C852::AID-IJC9%3E3.0.CO;2-S/full

If you liked this article,  check out www.doitatyourdesk.com/blog for all the latest content from Jake Dermer.

Take smaller bites

Take smaller bites

Mind Movements

Mind Movements