Growing Monster Biceps: the functional way
Curls are a vanity exercise.
There is nothing wrong with that, everybody is a little vane, and if you want bigger biceps…. do curls.
Curls are an exercise designed to isolate your biceps by utilizing a movement pattern that doesn’t have that much practical value.
Lucky for you, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you want bigger biceps and some functional strength while you are at it, try these two killer exercises:
Supine Bent over Rows-
- Holding weight in this position is already work, and if you are not an avid dead lifter, you are going to feel this in your hamstrings.
- Keep your back flat throughout the movement. If you can no longer hold the position, it is time to rest
- Pause at the top of the movement, as soon as your elbows are even with your back
Flex arm iso hold and chin up
- Perform a 20 second flexed arm hang, immediately followed by as many pull ups as you can do. (It won't be that many)
- Maintain good pull up form- set your shoulders before each pull up and stop before they get ugly.
- Full range of motion chin-ups, go all the way down.